Review: Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque


Today I have a review for you all on the Mint Julep Masque by Queen Helene. 

Where can I buy this?
I've also spotted it at CVS
Local health food stores

How much does it cost?
This product retails for $4-5 USD depending on where you buy it.

Pros:
Price and effectiveness - This is an inexpensive drugstore face mask that definitely does the job. It cleanses the skin without being too harsh and stripping it of all oils. That being said, you still definitely need to follow up with a good moisturizer. I recommend using this at nighttime and following up with a thick night cream. 
Ingredients - This mask contains kaolin clay, bentonite clay, and glycerin just to name a few. Kaolin clay is a very mild clay which is used in a variety of cosmetics. It cleanses and exfoliated the skin without removing natural oils. Bentonite clay is by far my favorite clay EVER (post coming soon!). It is a very purifying clay which draws out impurities from the skin. It is much more effective than the kaolin clay at removing impurities hence its use in this mask. The next ingredient I mention is the glycerin; I think this is an important ingredient because glycerin is a humectant which means that it draws moisture to the skin and helps the already existing moisture from drying out. You can see how all of these would combine into a nice affordable mask!
Texture - This mask is thick but applies smoothly with minimal clumping. It dries to a chalky finish but doesn't completely immobilize your facial muscles like some masks do. It definitely allows you to smile and move without the mask cracking and becoming itchy.
Not too drying - Some of my favorite masks are WAY too drying, this luckily is not. Although you still do need a moisturizer, it doesn't completely turn your face into the Death Valley. It leaves your skin nice and smooth with no extra dryness.
Scent - I love the minty smell! It is very nice and refreshing. I enjoy using this mask, its a treat :)
Easy to wash off - This is definitely one of the easier thick masks to wash off. It doesn't cling to your skin which in turn makes it easily rinsable.

Cons:
Parabens - This product contains methylparaben as a preservative. I prefer using products without parabens just to be safe so this is a turn off for me but it definitely does not keep me from using this product.
Packaging - Honestly not too fond of the packaging. Its hard to squeeze the thick goo out of the tube and then to twist the cap back on. I feel like one of those snap closure caps would be better and prevent unnecessary dirtying-up of the packaging.

So what's the verdict? Do you like it?
Yes! I definitely like it and recommend it. The pros for sure outweigh the cons and this is a mask I always come back to. For me, this is a gentle cleansing mask that I use when I'm too lazy to whip up my own. Go out and get yourself some!

Have you tried this mask? What do you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment