If any of you have ever gotten acrylic or gel nails, then you know about the trouble of dealing with weak and brittle nails once they're removed. This post is a guide to giving your nails a healthy, all natural, free, and totally simple treatment all in the comforts of your own home!
What you'll need:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A microwave safe bowl large enough to fit all 10 fingers in
- A towel
- Bare nails (no polish)
What You do:
- First, take your bowl and fill it with enough olive oil so that when you put your fingers in, it will completely cover your nails. Put the bowl of olive oil in the microwave. You want to get it as warm as you can stand, without burning yourself. Be very careful with this! Start out by warming it up for maybe 15 seconds, check the temperature, then put it back if need be.
- Put on a tv show for yourself and place your towel on a comfortable flat surface. Set your olive oil on the towel and dip all 10 of your fingers in the comfortably warm oil. Soak them for a good 15 minutes.
- Once your 15 minutes are up, remove your fingers and massage the oil into your nails and cuticles using small circular motions.
- You can store the leftover olive oil in a small container (no refrigeration necessary) and use it again for your next treatment. Just make sure not to accidentally use it for cooking!
Olive oil is known for its healing moisturizing qualities. By heating it up, you are speeding up the absorption process. Using this warm oil treatment 2-3 times a week helps weak nails become stronger by absorbing nutrients from olive oil. Your cuticles and nails become more hydrated which in turn allows them to grow stronger and healthier.
Have you ever tried a warm oil treatment for your nails? Comment below and let me know about your experience with this one!